Monday, March 6, 2017

Advice From the Grave - Judith, Hank, Jeff and Eric

Sunday at mid morning and Judith is still pouring over marking after another delightful round of assisted procrastination with Hank. She sips her coffee and looks at her email submissions, trying to factor in the late assignments. She cringes as she sees the name on her next one "Oh dear lord....Owen Reinhardt...."She's about to read it when her phone rings. It's Erica calling.

"Hello Sweetie. Oh he's in already......OK I'm still marking but we'll see what we can do.....I'll call you in a bit...."

Judith looks begrudgingly at her screen and pile of assignments and then calls out softly "Hank? Honey.....can I ask you a huge favour?"

Hank has his feet up, relaxing and basking.  He looks over at Judith with a smile.  "Sure.  What do you need?"  he is relaxed.  Happy.  Life is good for him.

Judith gestures at her looming work "I'm really behind on this, and Jeff is in already. Could you ...would you be willing to give him a  hand and I'll join you guys and pitch in shortly? I'm sorry to even ask. I just got another 5 emails with late assignments. These tardy students will be the death of me I swear...." She takes his hand and brings it up to her face, nuzzling into it and looking at him with absolute adoration.

Hank smiles ad cups her face, as he often does when she brings his hand to her face.  "No problem."  he leans in to kiss her softly.  "Let me get my shoes on and I'll be on my way."  he kisses her a little more deeply.  "And no dying on me, woman.  I have plans for you."  he winks and stands, getting set to leave and be helpful.  He liked Jeff.  He was a good kid.

Judith returns his kisses sweetly and then eagerly "OK I'll try and survive Owen Reinhardt's potential disaster if he's had one......I want to enjoy those plans too Chief Hank. Thank you so much. I'll text Jeff and let him know you're on your way."

Jeff had parked but not unloaded yet. this was his first look at the empty apartment and he was walking around it with a look of wonder, the door left wide open. Eventually he just sat down in the middle of the floor and gave Erica a short call to marvel at the wildness of this choice they were making.

Hank winks at her, then blows a kiss as he heads out of the apartment.  He walks over, noticing that he does not hear any sirens, which tells him that in all likelihood Owen Reinhardt had not poisoned anyone.  He moves into the building and stands in the open door.  "Moving man."

Jeff had just hung up with Erica and hops to his feet with a chuckle "Hiya Hank. Good to see you. Thanks for coming. I guess we should go get a load..." He walks by Hank with a smile to the car which is packed to the gills. Jeff grabs as much as he can manage and heads back in. A lot of it is camping gear since they will basically be indoor camping for the first few days to a week.


Hank follows Jeff to his car and grabs a decent amount before heading back inside.  "Do you want it in a specific place or just sort of piled around?"  he wonders, looking at some of the camping equipment, amused.  Last minute moves couldn't be any fun.

"Piled is fine. I'll shove it all to where it might go for now after." He looks thoughtfully at Hank, like he has something he wants to say, and then hesitates and just heads back to the car for more stuff, working through the words in his head.

Hank nods and places the things out of the way.  Seeing the look, he wonders about it, but says nothing.  He heads out for another load as well, remembering HIS last move.  Moving was never fun, he knew.

Jeff carts in load after load with Hank until the car is empty. Hank is both strong backed and efficient and matches if not slightly outdoes Jeff's efforts. Jeff chuckles as he sets down the last box "You're making me look bad fire chief." He jokes and then walks to a laptop bag "Hank, I gotta talk to you about something. Something to do with Judith......" He pulls the laptop out and fires it up.

Hank didn't mind the work at all.  "Well, lugging stuff back and forth is technically part of my job.  And I have a good twenty years experience on you."  he chuckles.  Then Jeff wants to talk and Hank looks curious and takes a couple of steps towards him.  "Judith?  Sure.  That's one subject I could talk about the rest of my life.  What's on your mind?"  he's curious.

Jeff sighs in almost relief "I'm glad you feel that way.....I was never going to show you this but Erica found it while we were packing. She's still processing it so it falls to me I guess.....it doesn't paint her Dad in the best light...but we decided for you to be really there for Judith....you should probably know this shit." He holds out the CD Rom which has written on it "For the man that loves my Judith" and explains "Eric....he knew he was going and he made some recordings. Most of them are actually pretty sweet. The one for Erica and for our kids was quite nice.....but there was a side to him about his wife that was.....the only way to say it is well chauvinistic and possessive. Judith forgave it all I think when he got sick...but she took Erica and left him a few times. I don't know if she told you that......Maybe my just telling you this is enough and you don't need to watch. But I figured it should be your choice either way. And you don't have to do it now...but I know Judith is staying with you for a few more days so you're welcome to watch it here on your own if you want. I can stay...or go for a walk....no pressure."

Hank reaches out for the CD before Jeff starts to explain more.  He takes it and looks at it while Jeff talks and he sighs very deeply.  "All I know about Eric is that Judith loved him, of course.  I know he was selfish in a couple of areas, but ...."  he doesn't elaborate, as those areas were sexual in nature and so private.  Part of him wanted to toss the CD away, but instead he takes a deep breath.  In his job, there was rarely time to delay and backing away from the potentially unpleasant was never an option.  "No ... I'll watch it."  he decides.  "But I'd like you to be here with me.  Backup."  he half jokes and offers him the CD back.

Jeff has a look of dread but nods "Ok you got  it. And I am sorry....He was a good man, he just had his own stuff to work through I guess about this and one lifetime wasn't enough to do it....." With a deep breath he puts in the CDR and cues it to play and then just hits play and steps back, arms folded, looking visibly uncomfortable.

Eric Baldwin sits outside on the patio in his favourite Hawaiian shirt with a slight smile on his face.

“Hello there. You and I have never met, but my name is Eric Baldwin. If you are watching this, then I am dead, and my wife Judith thinks herself in love with you. And maybe, she is. For you to have gotten so far is admirable. The love that Judith has for me will not be easily overcome. So at this point she’s been through a lot and you’ll have to be pretty patient with her.

Hopefully you know by now how lucky you are that she’s even looked your way. She’s definitely a prize, my Judith, and I worked hard to win her over.” He chuckles a bit “She didn’t make it easy but it was worth it. And if that’s where you’re at well you’re the luckiest bastard this side of the Rocky Mountains….unless she moved out of B.C.” He muses “I don’t think anyone will ever get her out of this ramshackle little house she adores so much….bless her….I had to humour her on that one. I wanted the town, she wanted the shitty little house.” He laughs again.

Eric claps his hands together and then rubs them “Alright lucky bastard, some survival tips…..” He grins knowingly. “First of all, do not call her Judy, ever. She hates it. Her maiden name is Bloom, you know Judy Blume, the author. She got that a lot back in Moosejaw in her youth and early teaching years.”

He holds up a finger “Don’t fill in words on her crossword puzzles. She may come at you with the pencil.” He laughs “Just trust me.”

Eric leans over to a side table and picks up a glass of ice tea and takes a sip. He sniffs after and goes on “My Judith is the most loving and devoted woman you’ll ever meet. You’ll NEVER have to question her loyalty, ever. But she is not the easiest woman in the world to be with. You will need my help to keep your temper in check with her. On some things, she is a woman who requires a great deal of hand holding. Those thing need to be explained to her very carefully for her to understand them. Perhaps it is just better for you to take care of anything … too difficult for her to handle on her own. If you don't know already, that's going to be a lot. Especially anything mechanical or mathematical. I'm afraid you may also find her housekeeping skills below par. However, on the bright side, she is an outstanding cook. That always makes up for a lot in a woman. She is an eager lover, and I taught her to tend those needs very well indeed. I am sorry I had to leave Judith so soon, but on the off chance she met and loved another man I wanted you to be forewarned. Your path has been well paved my friend. Tread wisely. ”

Eric looks like he’s about to wrap up and then clearly has something else pop into his head like he better not forget to mention it. With a wince he says “Oh and don’t mind her older brother Ted. Everyone thinks he’s the sweet quiet gardener but when it comes to his sister, the pitchfork comes out. Don’t worry; he did it with me too, never in front of Judith or the family though. And don’t be offended if my Erica doesn’t warm to you. We were close so this will be a tough one for her. It’s not you, unless it is you.” He gives a little laugh like he’s half kidding but not totally.

Finally, he finishes with “Everything I say, I say out of love for my Judith .I want her to be happy above all else. If you’re not up to the job, don’t waste her time.” His last look at the camera suggests whoever could be watching this might already be in that category but he flashes an awkward smirk at the end with inexpressible pain in his eyes before reaching forward to turn the recording device off.


The look on Hank's face as he watches the video ranges to amazement to a deep frown  By the time it is over, his eyes are nearly closed and his hands are in fists.  It is a posture of anger, but the mans laid back self and professional calm mute it a bit.  "God ....."  he murmurs.  "Elizabeth with balls ...."

Jeff clicks the media player off and looks back at Hank "I'm sorry....Elizabeth....was that....your wife?"

Judith is finally finished her pile of marking and stops in at the Sigh coffee shop for three take out coffees. She feels free and carefree and the slow building of attachments as she becomes connected to this town, more and more on each visit. The coffee clerk knows her now and they have a witty little banter as she takes her little cardboard tray and pays. Outside the shop she bumps into George Arnett and Kester who wags his tail and jumps on her, almost tipping the coffee from her hand. George chastises the dog and apologizes profusely but Judith just laughs. No harm done. She waves at the two as they head the other way and keeps walking towards Erica and Jeff's new place.

Hank sighs and covers his face with one hand.  "Sorry.  Yes.  Elizabeth was my wife.  She died in a drunk driving accident.  Twenty years ago this summer."  he lowers his hand and motions to the laptops monitor.  "She would have done something like this.  Trying to tell someone how to treat me as if I were an annoying pet being passed down."  the anger shows more in his words than the tone of them, but the anger is there nonetheless.  "I'm sorry, Jeff.  I understand your position.  But .... "  he blows out another breath.  "A lot of this DOES explain Judith.  But it means we have more in common than I thought we had.  Somehow I didn't think it would be emotional abuse."  the last is said softly and without thought.  Eric was trying to control how Judith was treated from beyond the grave and Hank wasn't about to take that advice.

Jeff just feels a sinking in his gut. It was clearly the right choice to share this, but not an easy one. He sighs into the words "Ah shit......"

Judith sees Jeff's car and peers inside it. Empty! Dammit they were too efficient! The door was open a crack though and she could see the backs of Hank and Jeff. They seemed to be standing around talking now so all was done. She pushed the door all the way open and lamented "You boys didn't leave me a single box. So I guess all I'm offering is coffee and praise." She walks in and looks at the very serious faces with a shift to worry "Is everything OK in here? The place isn't infested with rats or anything is it?"

Hank sees this is also effecting Jeff and can't help but wonder .. did Eric think he would just blindly hand over this CD to the man Judith loved?  Did he think ... of course he thought all of it and more.  But before he can say anything at all, Judith walks in.  A very small part of Hank wants to protect Judith and keep her ignorant, but the larger part of him believes that ignorance is anything BUT bliss.  He looks at her.  "Eric left me something ...."  is all he can say, really.

Judith looks between them, confused and then narrows her eyes "Pardon me......"

Jeff tiptoes up to Judith and plunks the coffee with his name written on it out of the tray "I'm going to see what's around us for amenities......I'll be back in a bit.Thanks for the coffee Mom." He kisses her lightly on the cheek and then pats Hank on the shoulder before rapidly exiting the apartment and giving them space.

Judith watches Jeff leave and turns back, waiting for the explanation.

Hank nods at Jeff as the man leaves.  Then he looks at Judith.  "Apparently Eric made videos for those he left behind."  he sighs and takes his coffee.  "Including any man that might come after him and love you."  he moves to Jeff's laptop and rests a finger on the monitor of it.  "I ... just watched it."  he sighs deeply.  "And I think ... you should as well."

Judith looks at the laptop like it might catch fire "He what? I don't understand....." She's clearly immediately offended without even seeing it "I feel like this is an intrusion....what could he possibly.....you know what, just play it." She sets the coffee down on a nearby box and rests one hand on her hip, the other crossing her body to hug the opposite shoulder. Her whole stance is a little tense and she looks nervous about what's coming.

Hank doesn't reply to her except to pop out the CD and snap it back in so that it will auto play for her ... and it does.

Judith watches. Her eyes immediately fill with tears at seeing Eric alive and talking to the camera. She's flooded with a thousand emotions at once, just at that. As Eric says her love for him will not be easily overcome though she frowns at the screen. How would he know? He has no idea what kind of man Hank is. She can't help but smile a bit after about him saying how lucky a guy might be and laughs when he talks about her beloved house muttering "You hated that house....I know. And damn you, I did keep it." She clearly replying to Eric. At the first tow points about not calling her Judy and the crosswords she laughs again, thinking maybe this will be sweet and funny. When he shifts to saying a man would need his help to keep their temper in check her face shows a flash of anger again "Are you joking?! Because you did SUCH a good job of it?" She asks Eric and then looks self consciously at Hank before sighing. When Eric talks about needing to explain things slowly her jaw sets and she mutters "You smug self righteous bastard...." as an angry tear now spills onto her cheek. As he goes on she starts pacing and then turns on the screen retorting "Taught me? Might have been nice if you could have taken some directions yourself Mister.....god...." She paces some more and can't look at Eric's face now, just listens but questions "Ted? What are you talking about....." Her breath comes fast as her temper boils by the end and after he finishes she shouts at the computer "I am not YOUR Judith! God damn you Eric Baldwin!" She's right at the wall now and she turns and unexpectedly punches it hard enough to make a fist sized hole in the drywall and then crumples to the floor sobbing and cradling her now bleeding hand. "Turn it off please Hank..." she calls out between sobs.

Hank watches her, torn between bemusement at the points in which she smiles, as well as her arguing with the video.  But then he sees her turn angry ... another thing he can relate to one hundred per cent.  When she hits the wall, he is already closing the laptop and rushing to her side, looking at her hand first.  "Lets take a look at that."  he tells her calmly.  As he makes sure nothing is broken and the cuts are superficial, he leads her towards the kitchen.  "I never thought to hit the wall."  he admits as he washes the wound and wraps her hand in paper toweling Jeff brought.  "But I couldn't cold cock the man.  Would have broken Jeff's computer."  he looks at it.  The cuts are very shallow and don't really even need a bandage.  "But I DID say 'Elizabeth with balls', which required explaining."  his voice is still mild.  He considers asking why she never told him this part and realizes that its possible she didn't see it until just now.

Judith is still quietly sobbing through all of this but let's Hank lead her and tend to her. She sniffs "He thought I was stupid. He never said it outright like that to my face....just little jokes now and then at my expense.........but he would always over-explain.....I thought it was just an annoying habit. I didn't realize that it was because he thought I didn't understand. I always understood. But after the rambling went on I would just tune out, trying to be polite....Did Elizabeth do that to you too?"

Hank sighs, although he is glad Judith didn't hit the stud and really hurt herself.  Listening, he sighs.  "Well, in her way, she did."  he admits.  "For her it was always little hints about what I would have to do to keep her in my life.  If I didn't do this, or do that, she might leave.  And being a woman, she would gain custody of Ford.  And how hard it would be if I only saw him on my WHOLE weekends off."  he sighs.  "She knew I would do ANYTHING to keep my family together.  And she used that."

Judith leans her head on Hank and kisses the side of his chin "Neither of them were very fair to us. But it sounds like your situation was more constant. I got breaks, long breaks from what you saw. Long enough that I could forget some of it was a problem until it reared again. I left him a  few times, but he won me back with pleading and promises and then good behaviour. I guess that is the pattern that makes it a vicious cycle." She sighs "He was raised with those values though. His mother even took me aside before I married him and told me that a man should always have the edge....I was young and naive so I just played a long, but it didn't feel quite right. God I wonder what my brother said to him? Because he sure didn't say it to me......."

Hank nods.  "It was once she realized I would go so far as to geld myself for her.  And stay in a sexless marriage for my son."  he listens to her and puts his arms around her.  "Maybe it was something that would have made you break up with him.  And if you were happy ... a brother wouldn't have wanted that."  he tells her what he thinks and hugs her, just glad to have his arms around her.  "Me?  I KNOW you're smarter than me.  I'm your willing groupie."

Judith has to chuckle at Hank "I don't want to be smarter THAN you, just an equal, seen and treated as one. And no sexless life for us, I'd die without it..... Oh the wall......I've never punched anything before in my life! What is WRONG with me Hank? I'm so sorry you had to see that, all of it....me, Eric. Did he just give that to Jeff to give to someone someday? What the hell was he thinking? Poor Jeff! Does Erica even know about it...."

Hank laughs a little.  "Well, that doesn't matter if you don't WANT to be.  You are."  he shrugs.  "But I know how to do things YOU don't, so I am still useful."  he glances down the hallway, towards the damaged wall.  "You finally got fed up enough to lash out and good for you.'  he sighs.  "Yes, it sound like there's one for everyone ... including me.  And including you, I would guess just on that video alone.  And all on Jeff's shoulders.  He said Erica found them, but I don't know if she watched it."  he sighs and looks out of the back window.  "Looks like there's something in the storage bin back here.  Probably Pete's repairing supplies.  You can repair the damage yourself.  DO you know how?  If not, I can teach you."  he was always a man to teach others to fish.

Judith looks at the wall and then at Hank "Well you walked me through changing the washers on the faucet. I can probably handle it. You're more than useful Hank Stanley. You're my other half......but I also shouldn't say MY. I don't possess you. You're your own person and I'm just blessed you choose to share that with me. I did not like Eric calling me HIS Judith, like a car or a lawnmower......especially if he's assuming this is being viewed by someone I might fall for after him. I do not understand that. I mean....if I had gone first......I don't even know....." She looks towards the storage bin "Let's see what Pete has that wall let me fix this wall before the kids move in. I hope Erica didn't watch it. He WAS better with her than with me. I'm grateful for that at least."

Hank nods.  "It's easy."  he takes her hand.  "I don't possess you, Judith.  Even if some day you and I make the most ultimate commitment and I call you 'my wife', I won't possess you."  he considers.  "You have qualities I don't and yes, I would say you ARE my other half.  Why, without you there, I would still be sitting in a restaurant trying to decide what to eat."  he teases.  "And without your help, I would have taken twice as long to fix the sink.  Both things would have been done, but they were easier, faster and more pleasant with you at my side."  he pauses.  "Possibly he thought you would fall for a man exactly like him.  But ...."  he winks.  "I like your house."  he looks at the bin and heads out.  "I'll get the stuff.  You roll up your sleeves."  he opens the door.  "I sort of hope she DID see it, Judith.  Being blind is not all it's cracked up to be.  Ask Ford someday."  and he heads out to get the supplies, coming back a few minutes later.

Judith wraps her fingers around Hank's when he takes her hand. Her heart skips a beat when he suggests the ultimate commitment. God this was the man she should have married years ago, but life didn't go that way, for either of them. and she did get something very important out of her connection with Eric, their daughter, Erica. She grins at Hank when he tells her he likes her house. She watches him walk towards the door and talk about Ford, thinking. When he comes back in she's on the phone with Erica looking tiredly accepting of the news that Erica did in fact watch it "I know honey. I'm sorry. I have a hole to fix in your wall......oh no it wasn't Hank..." She laughs "It was me......" Erica reacts so loudly Hank can probably hear it through the phone "Holy shit Mom!!"

Hank walks in with an arm full of repairing stuff and sets it down, catching the last of the phone conversation.  Chuckling, he raises his voice a bit.  "She broke it and she can FIX it."  he folds his arms and moves to her side, touching her shoulder, always wanting that physical contact.

Judith giggles and then says "I won't leave a hole in your new place. We have the supplies. Might even be done before Jeff gets back. He scampered off to give us privacy." Erica says something Hank can't hear now and then Judith nods "Oh well good for him. That is a bit of a walk though.....Alright. I love you dear and i'll call you later tonight. I'll tell him." She hangs up and looks up at Hank "She's glad you saw it and that you're here for me. Jeff went for groceries, hopefully not too many on foot." She leans into his touch and then steps in to kiss him deeply.

Hank listens to the end of the conversation and smiles at the news of Jeff's trip.  "Well, he can't get lost.  That would take a really special talent to get lost in this town."  he leans in and kisses her deeply, holding her close.  When finally it breaks he looks at her.  "I love you, Judith."  he tells her and then smirks.  "But you'll have to do more than just kiss me if you want to get out of fixing that wall."  he teases with a wink.

Judith runs her hands up his chest and inhales, exhaling into the H of his name as she speaks it "Hank......I will do all that...and more.... later, but I'm actually going to fix this damn wall. I love you too. Now tell me the first step of this drywall stuff please."

Hank shudders at the way she says his name.  Always does.  Gets him every time. But he clears his throat, refusing to get distracted.  He tells her the process from beginning to end, but then goes back so she can do it a step at a time.  For the most part, he leans casually against undamaged wall, watching her and only helping in parts where two people make the job easier than one person, or when she asks.

Judith focuses on the repair, feeling a sense of satisfaction in doing it with Hank's kind guidance, not having someone drone on at her thinking she won't understand or dis-empowering her by just taking over and assuming she can't do it. By the time Jeff comes back in she's at the putty stage, smoothing the drywall mud around the seams and finding it relaxing "Oh this is like painting, or icing a cake. I LIKE it!"

Jeff walks past the pair with a curious look and sets down grocery bags in the kitchen "A little bird told me the mama bird has a mean right hook today..."He  says innocently. "But thank you for the prompt repair. You can come do our house before it his the market Judith. We've got all kinds of nicks and holes. Life with kids....." He smiles and Hank as he leans against the wall, grateful the guy didn't run screaming after all this "I have sandwich fixings. Do you want turkey sandwiches? I'm making one...may was well make 3..."

Judith absently says "Yes please Jeff. Gotta feed this mama bird to keep her out of the ring right?" She's joking now, which is a good sign.

Hank chuckles.  "Don't eat the walls."  he advises.  He glances at Jeff.  "Mama bird has my respect.  I wouldn't piss her off for the world."  he teases and chuckles.  "Ah yes.  I remember when my granddaughter decided to try a little indoor climbing."  he remembers.  "Little foot and hand holds right up the wall.  I think Ford came close to stroking out that day."  he grins.  "Turkey sounds great.  I brought in some paint .. it should match this wall."  he looks over the work.  "You might get into home repair after this, love."

Jeff laughs "Oh your grand-kids sound like fun Hank. With us it's mainly Maisy. She melts down and flails in all directions or throws stuff. Thank god Penny likes to draw so it's just one of them." He opens up the bread and lays it out to start making sandwiches.

Judith muses "I might. If I ever want to sell my little house I'll have to.....Although the idea of bringing it with me sounds appealing....possibly expensive...." It hasn't dawned on her that Erica and Jeff know nothing of her idea to move here for Hank.

Jeff peers up from scooping in the mayo with a knife "Something you wanna tell us Judith?"

She turns around sheepishly "Sorry. I figured it wouldn't be a shock, and with you kids moving here it's starting to seal the deal.....Hank and I would love to not be so far apart. I just need to figure out the job part and there's no way I can be as quick as you kids in my line of work. There's a process, and hoops to jump through when you're a teacher........they don't have shops here either. I'd have to actually teach a core subject again. Could be fun. I used to teach high school ELA and I loved it. the amazing things kids can write. The ways their brains absorb literature....the classics, Shakespeare....oh I loved teaching Shakepeare!"

Hank snorts.  "Fun is all in the angle you're looking at it from."  he admits.  Then he listens to Judith and lets her explain her idea to Jeff.  "Well, your house is a prefab."  he tells her.  "SO my guess is they may have a couple more in a warehouse someplace ... so ... it might be a lot cheaper to move the whole thing here.  It really is a cute little house."  he smirks.  "When you can see the heating vents."  he teases her.  "And I own the land the house boat is on up to the back of the pharmacy, so there's plenty of room there."

Judith is still sensitive about Eric's commentary on her housekeeping skills and doesn't take Hank's teasing as well as she normally would. She shoots him an unexpected dirty look and then quietly puts the lid back on the putty and takes it to the box of supplies suddenly becoming engrossed with rotting through. she's not actually mad at Hank, it's just triggering her. She did hear what he said about the land but she needs to shake this off before she can reply.

Jeff listens to Hank and then looks up right at the dirty look coming his way. Uh oh. He knows that one. Erica gives that exact one when he's stepped in it with her. He looks down and then rapidly washes some lettuce and waves it over the sink to dry it a little.

Hank also sees the dirty look and understands all about looks.  "You're safe now, which is all I care about."  he elaborates. He hadn't made her clean up, even if he was neater, he could deal with anything she threw at him.

Judith comes back and gives Hank a little hug "I know what YOU meant. I'm just still a little off from what someone else meant." She can't even bring herself to say his name right now. "I'm sorry."

Jeff exhales in relief. They were navigating this all with as much grace, in fact, more than could be expected really. He puts the three sandwiches on plates and waits out whatever Hank might need to say before offering. God, Ziven had been right about this whole video thing. Jeff was feeling a little disillusioned himself right now.

Hank hugs her right back.  "When Elizabeth died, I cleared out the whole damn HOUSE."  he announced.  "And then sold the damn thing.  Ford was FURIOUS.  He may have saved one or two of her things.  I told him I was taking a vacation and he had until I came back to take what he wanted.  Probably he thought I was moving too fast ... he didn't know what his mother was like with me.  He never had.  Josh Greene . the police Chief ... he and I had just bought a boat and were planning on fixing it up.  Then HIS family life imploded and we decided to make it a house boat.  Both of us lived on the boat or at the firehouse for a year while we built that place."  he looks down at her.  "I know how you're feeling.  I really do, Jude.  I know the pain and I know that healing alone sucks."  he offers her a small grin, as hed had to heal both physically and emotionally.  "So if you need to vent ... I'm here.  Mild mannered and frustrating as I am."  he sighs a little as he realizes .... that was one of the things Elizabeth had accused him of so much, he now considers it a character flaw of his.

Judith leans into him and shakes her head "You are the least frustrating person I've ever met and mild mannered is a good thing. I will work really hard not to vent in a way that's directing my anger AT you, but I'm glad you're in my life to listen. And in some way, I am keeping THAT ruddy house, just to stick it to him. There may be some other things I clear out of it though..... Maybe I'll apply for some math teaching jobs and renovate the kitchen after too..." She says with a little laugh. "Who am I kidding I'd hate to teach math. I can do it, but who wants to be that teacher everyone dreads?"

Jeff calls from the kitchen "Food will help. Come and get it when you're ready to eat." He hops up and sits on a section of the counter, eating his own sandwich.

Hank chuckles and leans into Judith.  "I think the bed can go too, unless the mattress is new, in which case .. well ..."  he doesn't elaborate with Jeff in the room, but it seemed clear to him that, sexually at least, she'd had a better time with him in ANY bed than she'd had with Eric.  "And the kids here already love you, but yes ... I think math would be pushing it.  Everyone adores you.  I've been stopped and chided for hiding you 'all these years' is how Zilpha Ainsworth put it ... the woman who owns Earthcakes .. that little bakery on Water Street."  he explains to Jeff.

Jeff has a quick little blush about the bed and then chuckles. they weren't that old after all and he hoped he and Erica were still going strong that way well into old age. Good on them. Although he might skip mentioning that one to Erica, seeing how she'd been horrified at listening to her father talk about her mother as an eager lover in the video last night. He decides to reply about the bakery lady "hiding her for years? I thought you two just met on the the internet THIS year?"

Judith steps back after a squeeze and heads for her sandwich. she's famished now that her anger is calming "Does Zilpha think we've been together a lot longer for some reason Hank?"

Hank shrugs.  "We DID just meet this year, Jeff."  he confirms.  "But I guess we look like a long established couple.  I know I feel like I have known her for years."  he looks at Judith.  "It isn't just Zilpha .. although she adores anyone with a good relationship ... since she never had one either.  But others .. especially those who have known me for a long time ... and even more those who met me when I first got here, a couple of years before Elizabeth died."  he chuckles.  "We're just THAT comfortable together in the eyes of other people.  I take it as a compliment."

Judith passes Hank his sandwich and grins "I do too, and I feel the same way." She looks at Jeff "You and Erica got it right on the first round. It's a blessing you know."

Jeff smiles watching them. It's cute. He's happy they're happy. He nods at Judith's words "I know. I basically just let her tell me what to do and that works...." He snorts and keeps eating.

"And that's why we like you Jeff." Judith teases back.

Hank grins.  "That works, especially when you can just accept that she is smarter than you are.  I do."  he looks at Judith before the can protest.  "My job is to make sure the wet stuff goes on the red stuff."  he self deprecates.  Although he IS also the towns arson investigator.

Judith just rolls her eyes and giggles "Uh huh. It's a bit more than that but I'll let you flatter me. I need a bit today. Mmmm this is good turkey too..."

Jeff smiles and nods "I know right. So definition of a firefighter means the person who puts the wet stuff on the red stuff, check. Hey woman of words and soon to be ELA teacher again perhaps. Erica and I have to write up a new set of employee guidelines. Meera keeps emailing Erica with little lists of things. We haven't even started yet....anyhow since we've both managed teams and kitchens, we have some ideas but we'd love to have you edit our stuff so it sounds really pro. Are you game?"

Judith beams "Of course. I'd love to."

Hank takes his sandwich and bites into it, nodding as he chews.  Swallowing he nods.  "All there is to it."  he insists.  "And half a year in the Academy plus a whole year as a probie to prove you can."  he eats, satisfied.  Eric isn't ruining them ... and he's glad of it.  But his mind wanders to Ford, glad Elizabeth didn't pull the same thing.

Jeff mock gasps at Hank "I should have been a firefighter. I can operate a garden hose...that's a good first step right?" He teases knowing full well that there's way more to it.

Judith chuckles as she eats, finishing rather quickly since she was hungry. Afterwards she has a thought pop into her head "Where should we all spend Easter this year? I'm thinking here....." She looks at Hank "Would ford's family come here? Would it be insane to combine us all at your place?"

Hank chuckles.  "Exactly.  Just a WEE bit more water pressure than the garden hose, but the concept is the same."  he deadpans and then considers after taking another bite.  "I'm sure they would.  Wendy might want to help Erica cook.  And if worse comes to worse, we can have Kester babysit the kids."  he nods  towards he ceiling.  "Kester is a hit with all the townsfolk.  Friendliest pup you ever met.  And a FAR better babysitter than Henry, our firehouse mascot."  he winks at Judith, who has met Kester.

Jeff and Judith look at one another knowingly and then start laughing.

Judith explains kindly "Erica doesn't cook. Jeff and I cook. She can make coffee though......sandwiches....."

Jeff points in the air "Instant pudding.....Kraft Dinner....." He smiles at Judith.

Judith pretends to look ashamed "I almost had to sell her to gypsies when I figured it out. And she never came around. Some kids do....just not an interest for her. But on of my WORST cooking class students just made something edible...so some can turn it around. I should read you Owen's assignment, it's hilarious. Anyhow, Wendy's welcome to help US."

Jeff smirks "Do we have dog neighbours then? Maybe the girls will stop asking for one if we do."

Hank laughs.  "Ahhh  I see.  Wendy adores cooking.  I adore cooking.  Ford gets annoyed .. or used to.  Maybe not so bad this year."  he smiles.  "Wendy, I am guessing, would like nothing more.  She is already worshiping the ground you walk on, love."  he pauses and blinks.  "Did Owen Reinhardt PASS?"  he sounds amazed.  "I mean I know I didn't hear any sirens, so all MUST be well with the town."

Judith blushes and pokes Hank "Good lord, what did you tell this woman that I'll have to live up to later on?" She pulls out her phone "I usually don't share student work but this is too precious.....Jeff this kid was a disaster in my class. Anyways he made this Swedish dish called Jansen's Temptation. I themed the groups by countries and the get little passports.....you get the idea. He's attached a link to the recipe and his photo here actually looked like the one on the site, impressive." she holds out the picture for both men to see and then pulls it back and reads "But his review, because I asked for a quote from a family member or friend and here's how he sets up this guy's quote....."My buddy Vincent has been in pro kitchens since he could piss in his own pot. He's a great cook and makes a lasagna people would commit murder for a second piece of, and well dude's Italian so that says it all." She cracks up again "It's colourful, but also grammatically correct so what I can I mark down?"

Jeff laughs loudly "That's fuckin awesome. Piss in his own pot.......that's classy...."

Hank shrugs.  "Well ... lets just say that Elizabeth and Wendy never got along ... and she and Ford are high school sweethearts."  then he looks at the pictures and laughs at the comment.  "Vincent ... that would be DiAntoni.  I heard he can cook up a storm.  Give the kid the best grade possible.  "But expect his parents to call you up and not believe it."  he sighs dramatically.  "I'm going to miss their warnings on Owen's cooking night now that he's Chef Boy-R-Dee."  and he shakes his head.  "Piss in his own pot .... yea ... I like that one."

Judith frowns "Well then I'll be extra nice to her. I had a terrible mother in law....may she rest in peace. I don't ever want to make anyone else feel that way. Right Jeff. Come on vouch for me..." She teases.

Jeff pretends he's complying with a robotic monotone "Yes.....Judith Baldwin is the best mother in law....ever.." He winks at her after.

"Very good dear. I won't have to dismantle you and sell you for parts....this week...." She quips back.

Hank laughs.  "Well ... Wendy has had to keep Ford and I on speaking terms now for a long time ... and .. it turns out it was in a way a HUGE misunderstanding.  But .. Ford found out about some pretty crucial lies he was told by is mother ... and how in our ways we BOTH played into her desires."  he grins.  "But Wendy will love you ... because you love me ... and that's been lacking in my life since Ford was about three."

Judith walks over to Hank and hugs him again "I do. And I will." She looks sideways at Jeff and chuckles "Sorry for the mush..."

Jeff smiles and shrugs "It's sweet. And uh I'm cool to just arrange stuff here now if you two want to...you know...wander..." He implies but doesn't outright imply that it could be for anything they might want or need to do after a big emotional roller coaster ride from Eric.

Hank smiles and hugs her back.  "Wander, eh?"  he grins.  "Shall we take a walk, love?"  he asks.  Part of him is OK but part of him is infuriated with Eric.

Judith smiles at Jeff and then at Hank "Yes please. Jeff call us if you need anything else though OK?"

Jeff waves them off "Go! I'm fine. I'mm just going to fill up air mattresses and make it look like base camp. Thanks though, both of you. Take care eh?"

Judith lets go of Hank and walks over to hug Jeff before reaching for Hank's hand again to head off. she could use a little one on oen time with him to work through that crazy video.

Hank waves as they head out the door.  After a slight pause, he opts to turn towards the beach which is literally next door.  Putting his arm around her, as if they were teens, he looks across to the woods.  "Quite a surprise, eh?"  he murmurs.  "Almost lost my OWN temper."

Judith easily slides her arm around Hank's waist. He's just the right amount taller than her for it to be completely comfortable. He's just the right amount of everything. She has to laugh at Hank "You didn't punch a wall. Next I'll be getting into bar fights and your pal Petey will throw me out of his place.....I am sorry though. That was completely unexpected....."

Hank chuckles a little at the thought.  "I'm well trained to keep my head."  he sighs,  "Completely unexpected and completely inappropriate."  he shakes his head.  "It's like trying to control you from the grave.  Jesus ...."  its hard for him to articulate words.

Judith sighs "Sadly a few years closer to him passing, it might have had a hold on me. Erica says there's a video just for me too....I asked her to destroy it. I don't need to wade through more. I've put up with it, and I did love him, and I mourned him. I think that's enough energy for Eric to have from me in one lifetime. I'm trying to reconcile how to hold onto the good parts. It may take awhile. I let a lot of the bad go when he was sick because he just needed my absolute compassion but now he's thrown it in my face, and yours....I'm think I'm even more upset that you had to get dragged in."

Hank walks along the beach along the hotel towards the Ice Goddess.  "Then I came along at the right time."  he suggests.  "Elizabeth has been dead for nearly two decades and ... I can't feel anything but relief.  But in our marriage ... the happiness died pretty fast, and the memories of that just weren't enough."  he stops and kisses her cheek.  "If there are happy memories, by all means keep them.  If not."  he shrugs.  "Me?  I'm already figuring out how to bring that house here and trying not to be an see thinking how many times I made you cum in what I am sure he considers HIS bed."  he tenses and huffs, clearly still angry about it.  He wonders if he will ever STOP being offended by the whole thing.

Judith stifles a little giggle and turns toward Hank, pulling him to her "It IS a new mattress but for the record, more times in the first night with you than in the first 5 years of my marriage......" She kisses him sweetly and then grumbles "And I'll be having a little lingerie burn barrel in my backyard this week. Does silk pollute?" She huffs too "It's even crossed my mind to go back to my maiden name...Bloom..." She sighs "I must be really mad..."

Hank grins.  "So Elizabeth did SOMETHING good for my meeting you."  he shakes his head.  "It should be fine.  Plenty of air for it to dissipate in."  he considers.  "You can do that ...."  he offers.  "Or you can just change your last name to Stanley ..."

Judith's eyes go wide and she grins and breaths out his name "Hhhank.....what are you saying exactly?" She has to hang onto him a  little tighter to steady herself all of a sudden.

Hank swallows hard as she breathes out his name.  Looking down at her, he explains.  "I'm asking if two months is too soon to ask you to marry me."  he holds her steady.  "And if it IS ... then how long before I can?"  he reaches up and caresses her cheek.

Judith feels her breath catch in her throat and her eyes blur with happy tears, one rolling to his hand on her cheek "It's not too soon for me....I love you Hank Stanley, more than anything....."

Hank pulls her close and smiles, brushing the tear away.  "In that case ...."  he kisses the cheek the tear dared fall upon.  "Judith, will you marry me?"

More tears come and with them breathy overwhelmed laughter "Yes Hank. Yes please." She grabs him and kisses him fiercely, wetting his face with her tears now.

Hank kisses her back fiercely, feeling his own throat grow a bit tight.  It is a long time before he breaks it willingly.  Clearing his throat, he smiles at her.  "They're going to call us crazy, I bet."  he predicts.  "I just don't care."

Judith runs her fingers through the back of his hair looking up at him "Well if half the town already thinks we're an old married couple, it's merely a formality..." She jokes "And I don't care either. But damn I better find a job here...." She laughs a bit now at the whole scenario.

Hank laughs.  "Oh, that shouldn't be too hard.  And in the meantime I want to see if I can't find you a ramshackle house."  he stops and inhales.  He had quoted Eric and was not pleased with himself.  "But Judith."  he tells her.  "I will.  If you are there, any house is home."  but he is bothered now.  Haunted by Eric Baldwin.  Was that the mans intention, he wonders.

Judith hears the quote and then sees Hank's reaction to his own words and runs her thumb over the burn on his cheek with a sigh "It's OK....I'm still hearing him too but you are the farthest thing from whatever the hell that was.....We could even live on your boat and I'd be happy. I just want you Hank......we could live in a box and I'll keep it messy as hell and we'd still find a way to be happy..." She pulls him into a big tight hug.

Hank holds her close.  "Damn right we would."  he proclaims.  "Come on, this calls for a blessing.  Ice cream?"  he nods to the colorful tables of the Ice Goddess.  "They just moved from Water Street."  he grins.  He would have to heal now ... and help Judith heal.  Love would definitely help with that.

"A blessing of ice cream? I'm joining your religion Hank!" She looks at the sign "It's even called Ice Goddess......well bless us indeed." She slides her arm though his and starts walking, feeling the comfort of Hank beside her was already overshadowing the bad parts of the day. Becoming Hank Stanley's wife would let the rest just flow away.

Hank chuckles and leads her in.  "Now this isn't Vancouver."  he warns her.  "But they have plenty of flavors."  he watches her and the lone employee.  It's still winter, so the place wasn't heavily staffed.  "Let me think here ... what's a good flavor to celebrate an engagement?"  he asks her and then snaps his fingers.  "Do you want a ring, Judith?  Wedding or engagement?"  he realizes he hadn't done anything formally, as he had oh so many years ago as a younger man.

Judith laughs "We could get bands for the actual ceremony, but we don't have to spend a lot. I'm really a shoe girl more than a jewelry girl so that's a win right?" She smiles and then looks at the ice cream "You know a good benchmark for an ice cream shop is always their vanilla......."

Hank chuckles.  "A relief, in a lot of ways."  he admits.  "But just leave me room for my three pair and I'll be happy."  he considers.  "I'll have one scoop of vanilla in a cup, lease."  he glances at Judith.  "And you?"

Judith smiles "I'll have the same in a cone please. Three pair.....you are a marvel Hank..."

Hank looks down at her.  "That does NOT include my work shoes and turn-out boots, I will have you know."  he protests as the clerk scoops up their ice cream.  He hands over his card and nods to a brightly colored table and chairs inside, heading over to sit.  "But I have to ask.  Do you REALLY like lingerie?"  he wonders.  "Or was it just for ...."  he shrugs.  He doesn't need to speak the name.

Judith steers him a little away from the earshot of the counter after they have their ice cream and giggles "We'll traumatize the youth. Thank you for the cone..." Judith sighs "I feel like this starts another whole discussion. For everyday wear I like pretty things under my clothes. They make me feel feminine and sexy.....But some of it I did buy when I was younger because I was afraid Eric would stray. Now I almost wonder if he did anyways, since his opinion of me was so low.....but so may of my girlfriends were talking about it, I was determined to keep him interested. So that's the stuff that needs to go. But other things I bought because they just look nice, and feel nice on. And I didn't stop buying lingerie when he died, for me. In fact, you haven't even seen anything that's not...recent....so don't feel like I'm....you know....... recycling...." She smiles a bit awkwardly.

Hank looks at the clerk, who is a shade of red.  He moves to the table and motions for her to sit.  "That's what I wanted to know."  he tells her.  "If you like it, I'm all for your comfort.  I think it's pretty, but I like the woman beneath, frankly."  he takes his little plastic spoon and takes some ice cream.

Judith smiles "I appreciate that. There's a lot to undo....for me right now. Eric came to expect it....but there was a weird double standard about it. He wanted me a certain way for him but god forbid I wear a two piece bathing suit that made another man look at the beach. That bikini picture Connie posted of me was a bit of my inner rebellion when I could. And I wasn't trying to make anyone look....well you eventually..." She giggles "But not in any other ways. Control issues.....more than I even acknowledged."

Hank chuckles around another mouthful of ice cream.  "Well, let them look!"  he proclaims.  "I think you're beautiful.  KNOW you love me.  So they can't hurt me."  he gives her a half a grin.  "Just don't expect me to dance up and down the beach in a thong."  he snorts, but then seems to fall into thought.  "I haven't even GONE to the beach since before the fire."  he murmurs, again thinking of the divide in his life; The Fire.

Judith beams at the first part and then shakes her head "No thongs...on either of us...just tacky....leave SOMETHING to the imagination..." She listens with empathy about Hank and the beach "Well how about here where they know and love you. They're not going to judge you in this town Hank. Everyone adores you, and knows." She points out "Do you like to swim? Have you...you know since?"

Hank smiles in agreement and then sighs.  "Well, at first I didn't because I was healing.  Then, I just ... didn't.  I know they care about me here.  Of course, I can swim.  And have ... swimming out to save someone fallen overboard, or through the ice.  I can even scuba dive.  Part of the job.  But I used to love swimming.  Was captain of my high school swim team."  he grins.  "But no .. not .. since."  he considers.  "My life seems to be in two areas.  Before and after that fire.  But now .. maybe there can be a little before and after Judith, eh?"

She extends her legs so they touch Hank's "With a focus on after. We've still got a lot of good memories to make together. I love to swim so if you want to go I'll happily go with you." She looks him over "I imagine sunscreen is a careful consideration on the burn areas...although you might not feel it...it wouldn't be good for your health.."

Hank nods.  "Maybe I will consider buying a swim suit for days off.  The water in the inlet is mostly shallow and warms up quite nicely."  he tells her.  Then he strokes his chin, absently rubbing his leg against hers.  "Definitely a new beginning.  After Judes."  he grins and takes her hand.  "I owe that little hacker a LOT ... but all I got him was a laptop.  And I will probably live to regret THAT."  he chuckles, thinking of Mason, who started it all.



No comments:

Post a Comment